I realize it has been a while since I have posted, but we have had one hell of a two weeks....
We first ran into problems last week when Alex got colicky...On Firday morning he cried from 8am until 2pm, then slept all evening, then was up all night....However, once we gave him some gripe water he calmed down a bit. The only other issue was that during this colicky period, Alex decided he wasn't going to breastfeed anymore. He went from doing really well, to not at all. In fact, everytime I tried to breastfeed, he would turn stiff as a board, and would scream at the top of his lungs.
I lasted until Monday, when we went to the health unit looking for help. Unfortunately, we didn't get any. As far as the nurse was concerned, these things happen and we should just keep trying. I was a complete emotional mess, and this didn't help. It is hard to explain, but when your child will not breastfeed, a little part of you feels the ultimate rejection, like your body was good enough to live in for 9 months, but it's not good enough to provide food for your child.
We went to the doctor on Tuesday looking for help, and he said exactly what I needed to hear---it is not worth making yourself sick over, and formula fed infants do just as well as breastfed ones. Dan and I talked about our options, and after much thoiught we decided to switch to formula only feeding. We noticed an almost immediate change in Alex...He sleeps better at night, and doesn't cry so much in the day. He wants to cuddle with mom more, where before he bdidn't want anything to do with me.
We also invested in a rumble seat...Now that Alex is getting used to it, he actually likes it quite a bit.I thought for sure we were going to have to return it. It helps mostly when my arms need a break and Dan is trying to work and can't take Alex.
It seems I spend most of my blogging complaining.....I guess it's just my way of venting. We've had a pretty emotional time here, with both Dan and I in tears at some point because we have no idea what we're doing. It is hard to understand if you've never been through it, and we have had some people completely choked that we haven't been around for the last two weeks or so. But, our first responsibility is to each other, and then to Alex. Our friends come next and it may be hard for some since we have always been around, but once things settle here (we they are starting to now) we will be out more often and more readily available for our friends.
So, hang in there everyone...We are and we are also positive things are going to get better. I wouldn't trade Alex for the world, colic and everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment