Just thought I would pass along a little update on our (little) bundle of joy.....
For my last 2 visits to the doctor I have been measuring big (meaning that I should be 28 weeks and measuring 32, and today I'm 31 weeks and measuring at 36), and my blood pressure is starting to increase. I saw the OB 2 weeks ago about trying a natural birth, and while she seemed hesitant, she supported my decision. My family doctor, however, looked at my measurements etc today and feels that it may be better for me to have a planned c-section because I most likely will need to have another one anyways. There are many risks associated with having a natural birth after a c-section, with the most serious being that my incision could open up during labor, and the baby could die from lack of oxygen and I could bleed out. This is very rare, but more often than not, if the incision does open, the baby could die, and I could end up with a hysterectomy (no uterus means no more kids). Of course, the up side is that everything could go smoothly and everyone could be fine.
Given how difficult my labor with Alex was, and how long the recovery time was, Dan and I discussed our options on the way home today and decided that we are going to book a c-section instead of trying for a natural delivery. If I go into labor before the planned day, then we'll decide from there. There were many reasons for us booking the section; safety, familiar territory (I've had one before so I know what to expect), the ability to plan child care for Alex, my fear of pain (I don't do pain well), and also the option of any friends or family to be at the hospital when the baby is born if they want to be. It was a difficult decision to make, but in the end the only thing that matters is the safe and healthy entry of this baby into the world. When all is said and done, I really don't need to experience labor and a vaginal delivery--I had the labor (and it sucked), and I hear about vaginal deliveries from friends, and I think I'll pass :)
So, having said that, once I have a date for the surgery I will let you all know so you can know when to expect our little one's arrival. I will need to be in hospital for 3 days following, so there also will be lots of time for everyone to come and visit. We are starting to get quite excited and nervous all at the same time (any parent knows what this is like), but ultimately we are just really happy.
I went for the ultrasound today, and that said the baby is measuring about 2 weeks ahead instead of 4 1/2. However, there didn't look like too much amniotic fluid (although I'm not an ultrasound tech, so don't quote me) so I think we are just having another big baby!! Everything else looked good, and baby kicked through the whole thing (neither of my kids enjoy having their pic taken in utero, but Alex sure likes it on the outside!!!). I'll keep you all apprised of our situation as we get more info!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment