Saturday, May 19, 2007

Prodromal Labor

So I haven't been online for the last couple days just because I've been trying to rest as much as possible. For one reason, I am being induced on Tuesday (only 3 more sleeps!!) but I also have been having the wonderful experience of prodromal labor (also known as false labor) since about 9pm Friday night.

For those who don't know what prodromal labor is, it is contractions that are every 7-10 minutes, lasting about 60 seconds long with a mild to moderate amount of pain. The problem with these contractions is that they do not progress in intensity or frequency, which means they do not result in the birth of a baby. They also come and go, meaning they could last for hours, and then just all of a sudden stop, but then start right back up again in a short amount of time. They do cause some cervical changes, but not enough to kickstart real labor to get past 3cm.

While this may seem good, I mean you have to get to 3cm at some point so that you eventually get to 10cm to deliver the baby, it is very tiring and frustrating. I thought for sure that this may have been it when after having contractions all last night, I woke up this morning still having contractions. However, I waited to see if they would get closer together or more painful (usually the sign it's time to go to the hospital), but instead they went away. Then they came back a couple hours later. The stopped. You get the picture.

I really thought it may be time to go when after a nap I could hardly move. I thought Dan was going to have to get me out of bed because my back and stomach hurt so bad. But no, the pain went away along with the contractions. I have come to the realization that if this baby is going to be born before my induction on Tuesday that I won't even know I'm in labor, and I will only be ready to go to the hospital when the baby is crowning (which is a little too late). I guess that would be a good thing, but at the same time too it wouldn't be. I am so glad you only have to be a first time mom once. I feel like such a tard most days.

Well, I am going to to say, this has certainly been an experience. Dan and I watched the 3D ultrasound DVD today, and it again became real that in just a few short days I will be having a baby.....I can't even begin to describe the emotions I felt, and the impatience at not having the baby yet. But, like I said before, good things come to those who wait.

Oh, and Elysia told me today that her friend Marta delivered this morning.. She was due on the same date as me. So now everyone who got pregnant last year have had their babies except me. It seems we are always the last todo everything (get married, have a baby)...I guess we're not trend setters, we're trend followers!

Ahhhhhh...only a few more days............

No comments: